Monday, March 31, 2008

Culture Shock!

I have gotten to the point (and I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that my American side kick Tracy is still at large on her investigation) where everyone annoys me. I am trying to find positive aspects to Mozambican customs and manners, but at times it is incredibly difficult. I spend the majority of my day in the teachers office observing behavior that in my country, in accordance with my Western system of manners is so vulgar and offensive. Yes I realize I'm not home and yes of course people everywhere act differently, but I've had enough.

Customs And Manners That Drive Me Crazy: (a list of dislikes by: Sojourner Walker)
1. Nose Picking
2. Deep guttural grunting (usually during or after a loud argument)
3. Loud arguments where desks are slammed with the palms of hands
4. A loud squealing "eeeh" sound that usually follows a loud argument (of the type that happen every freaking thirty minutes)
5. Really loud talking
6. Really loud off key singing to bad Western music where the singer is not actually capable of pronouncing the words and is always one beat behind the music
7. The loud sound of snorting mucus back into the nasal passages
8. Hacking sounds as if trying to expel phlegm from the body, without actually doing so
9. Loud hand claps to emphasize a point, during a conversation
10. Sneezing or coughing violently without covering the mouth
11. No personal space! Why do people feel the need to stand right on top of me, to bump into me when they've got other desks and other space in which to work? Why??
12. People reaching directly over you almost knocking you in the head with arms and items
13. The need that men have to touch women as they speak to them. Hands should not be on my hands, on my back, on my arms, on my bra strap. Someone is going to be knocked out with my elbow very very soon.
14. The fact that people do not smile and conduct themselves in a very severe and harsh manner
15. The need that everyone has, to know exactly where I'm going, where I've been and what I'm about to do at all times during the day. I have learned to ignore these questions and just go on about my business blocking out the speakers shouts
16. The loud hissing "TTTSSSSSKKK!!!!!" that is used to get my attention. I also ignore this sound and am constantly being asked why I am not responding to people. I ignore this question as well
17. There are others..... but alas, I've got "work" to do!

No comments: