Friday, January 29, 2010

Pura Vida - I loved Costa Rica!




Sometimes it's great to go solo. That was my approach to hiking in Arenal. I opted for a horseback and hiking tour. I took a horseback trail up to the top of the volcano, then hiked down. The riding trail was amazing. A little frightening at times, like when my horse walked up a thin slippery, rocky path behind a waterfall, but it was worth it. It was just me and the guide going horseback. I had the opportunity to gallop through cattle fields and meander through rain forrest. My horse did take off at a full sprint a few times, much to my horror, as I bent down to avoid being flogged in the face by tree branches.
The horse ride went about 3/4 of the way up the volcano. The rest of the hike by foot was very calm. The views were breathtaking, but at the same time, there were a lot of tourists. After being alone in nature for the hour and a half to get to the volcano, I was thrown off by all of the other people on the hiking trail.
I like to make-believe that I'm on my own private island when I travel.

No comments: