Friday, February 19, 2010

Balnea Spa

In the Southern countryside of Quebec, past long stretches of snowy valley and ice covered lakes lies one of the most magical spas I’ve ever had the pleasure of visiting.

When Lynne told me to bring my bathing suit because we’d be going to a spa I was excited. I envisioned the typical hot tub/sauna situation that I’ve been presented with in the past and thought nothing much more of it.

The drive to Balnea Bromont-Sur-Le-Lac was a pictoresque two hours outside of downtown Montreal.

Walking through the doors, we were greeted by the calming scent of eucalyptus.  We were presented with a locker key, a bottle of water,  a bath robe and a towel. After locking up our goods and changing into our suits Lynne dropped the bomb. I was informed that the hot tubs were outside (in the 15 degree weather) and that part of our  spa circuit would include a dip in freezing cold water (also outside).  Enter apprehension. Montreal is gray and frozen in the winter. Would  it be possible to relax outside in a swim suit under these conditions?

The spa was set up in a round of circuits. The first stop was a hot tub (we had several to choose from, each with it’s own theme/concept), the second stop was a steam room/sauna (once again, there were several to choose from), the third stop was a dip for at least thirty seconds in a vat of ice cold water, the fourth stop was a twenty minute rest in one of the many relaxation rooms.

The moment our flip-flopped feet began trudging through the snow (there was about five inches on the ground and it was actively snowing outside) I began to shiver. Taking my robe off  and slipping our of my shoes, I began an internal dialogue of curses. However, the moment I slid into the outdoor hot tub overlooking a chain of mountains, I was at ease. It was so peaceful in the water. Soothing nature sounds were on loop from a speaker system nearby, aromatherapy was misted into the air from time to time. After thirty minutes, we were ready for the second circuit.  Getting out of the water from one station to the next is truly a bit painful, but it’s worth it. Our second station was a eucalyptus scented steam room. We steamed our pores clean for about twenty minutes, before diving into an ice-cold outdoor waterfall. Surprisingly the outdoor cold waterfall wasn’t too terrible. The moment I got out, I could feel my circulation open up and became so aware of my limbs.  Our final stop on the first circuit was a peaceful rest room set up with lawn chairs and pillows and panoramic views of the mountains.

The circuit is such a healthy way to relax. The heat, steam and cold, remove toxins, improve circulation and improve the skin. We did three rounds and stuck around for lunch at the Balnea cafeteria which was another pleasurable experience.

I would recommend this spa to anyone interested in a getaway. The saunas and hot tubs are co-ed, so this would make an amazing romantic getaway.

Balnea Spa Bromont-Sur-Le-Lac
319 Chemin du Lac Gale
Bromont, Quebec J2L 2S5

www.balnea.ca

No comments: